[ELIXIR-ITA_ml] Training Course on Linux shell scripting for high-throughput biological data processing on supercomputers

General ELIXIR-Italy Mailing list elixir-ita_ml.elixir-ita.cnr.it a srv00.area.ba.cnr.it
Lun 20 Nov 2017 16:38:17 CET

COURSE ANNOUNCEMENT

Please circulate this email to those who might be interested.

ELIXIR-IIB, in collaboration with CINECA,

is pleased to announce the upcoming training course on “Linux shell
scripting for high-throughput biological data processing on supercomputers”.

IMPORTANT DATES:

Deadline for applications: 20 Dec 2017
Course date: 16-17 Jan 2018
A maximum of 20candidates will be selected based on their need for the
course as emerging from the application form. Notifications of
acceptance will be sent shortly after the application until we reach 20
participants. Priority will be given to candidates from ELIXIR-IIB
member institutions and ELIXIR nodes.

VENUE: CINECA, Via dei Tizii, 6B, 00185 Rome, Italy.

Full details at:
https://elixir-iib-training.github.io/website/2018/01/16/Linux-Shell-Roma.html

COURSE DESCRIPTION:

Biological big data increasingly require supercomputers for their
processing and analysis. Running high-throughput (HTP) bioinformatics
data pipelines on supercomputing machines requires advanced Linux shell
command line and scripting skills. In this two-day course, we will
introduce the Linux shell and, on day one, we will show how to navigate
and work with files and directories, how to combine commands to do new
things, how to perform the same actions on many different files, how to
filter and selectively extract data from tables, and how to find objects
in files. Moreover, we will show how to connect to a remote
supercomputer and how to utilise a supercomputing environment to analyse
big amount of biological data, run simple shell scripts and
bioinformatics pipelines. Day 2 will be wholly practical.

Should you have any question, do not hesitate to contact the ELIXIR-IIB
Training Team (elixir.ita.training a gmail.com
<mailto:elixir.ita.training a gmail.com>).

Thank you for your interest,

the Organisers

Tiziana Castrignanò (CINECA, Rome, Italy)

Allegra Via (ELIXIR-IIB Training Coordinator)

Loredana Le Pera (ELIXIR-IIB Training Coordinator Deputy)

logo_iib.png

--
*ELIXIR-IIB Training *
https://elixir-iib-training.github.io/website/